Insomnia is the bane of contemporary society. Since the launch of the electric light over one hundred years back, almost half of the earth is lit up at night. Artificial light disturbs natural circadian rhythms. The pineal gland yields the sleep hormone-melatonin-only in the dark. Without sufficient melatonin creation, sleep is disrupted, hormones become imbalanced, and the ability to fight disease is diminished.
The pineal gland, located in the center of the brain itself, is linked with the crown chakra
Gentle energy affects pineal production of melatonin. Cells located in the skin of ours called chromocytes offer light wave info to the pineal gland. At dawn, the sunlight is a blue wave which stimulates chromocytes to turn off the pineal gland. At dusk, the red light of sunset blocks the blue rays and the pineal gland begins producing melatonin.
Melatonin production peaks approximately 3 hours after dark and lasts 8 to nine hours in adults, longer in kids. At dawn, the drop of melatonin arouses the hypothalamus. Located deep in the brain in the amount of the sixth chakra, the hypothalamus settings most vital body functions like temperature, stress response, hormones, libido, weight, the body’s immune system as well as directs the cascade of amino acids that will form neurotransmitters. The hypothalamus is actually the maestro of the body’s biochemical orchestra.
After the hypothalamus wakes up, it needs glucose
Thus it stimulates the adrenal glands to make cortisol which releases saved sugar. Cortisol stimulates the production of dopamine that is the neurotransmitter of alertness, memory and learning. Dopamine follows all-natural cortisol rhythms, remaining elevated until mid afternoon. Schools cash in on the natural circadian rhythm of the learning hormone by educating children from 8am to 3pm. The late afternoon slump that makes many of us reach for sugar and caffeine is a reflection of this natural fall in dopamine and cortisol.
Yet another extremely important nocturnal hormone is called prolactin. Issued by the pituitary gland, prolactin is pretty loaded with pregnant along with nursing mothers, so it’s name refers to promoting lactation. Created by all ages and both genders, prolactin stimulates the thymus to increase the natural killer cells which keep the bodies of ours totally free of foreign invaders and cancer. Without sleep, we are vulnerable to disease as the immune systems of ours weaken. Prolactin rises 3 hours following melatonin and is off by dopamine.
In the early morning, melatonin cascades into serotonin
A soothing hormone, serotonin controls the impulses of ours. And the much more serotonin produced through the day the greater melatonin at night.
Create an organic circadian rhythm by climbing with the sunlight and exercise moderately, at the beginning of the day. Exercise promotes cortisol production therefore increasing dopamine the energetic daytime hormones. Released in response to both emotional and physical stressors, cortisol gears our bodies for flight away from possible danger. Cortisol and dopamine is able to prevent the cascade of serotonin back into melatonin in the evening so beware of working out within a couple of hours of bedtime.
Insomnia is usually at the root of countless dis-eases. Cancer, obesity, immune dysfunction, hormonal imbalances, diabetes, even heart problems have all been connected with sleep disorders. Although rest drugs can be found as temporary help, they do not boost normal nocturnal hormone output.
You’ll find many natural treatments for insomnia
- Don’t miss the sunset. Remember the pink light of dusk induces melatonin production. Do not watch television or even work on the pc after dark. The blue light from these screens acts like dawn and shuts down melatonin production.
- If you need to expose yourself to blue light wear yellow tinted glasses while watching tv or perhaps working on laptop operate at night.
- Try eating tryptophan enriched foods in the evening. Tryptophan is the amino acid needed to turn serotonin into melatonin køb.
- Sleep inducing foods include: whole grains, yogurt, figs, dates, grapefruit, bananas, nut butters, turkey as well as tuna. Heavy protein foods are certainly not advised before retiring for the night.
- Make sure you sleep in completed darkness.
- A cool, very dark room helps the pineal gland produce melatonin.
- Deepen sleep with soothing sound like other night sounds or water.
- In the morning, help melatonin to cascade into serotonin by eating complex carbs and getting no less than 20 minutes of sun damage.
- Exercise moderately about 30 minutes of aerobic activity at the beginning of the day.
A detailed understanding of our hormonal circadian rhythms is crucial to wellness.